The Gem Series adds another dimension to revealing inner beauty, incorporating semi-precious stones and trompe l’oeil accents with highly figured veneer adding to the “wow!” factor of Grove’s work. Gems and the pull-back element have become a signature on many of his pieces, often specifically requested by collectors. This series is based on Tutankhamen’s funereal trappings and is reflective of the hidden treasures found in the Pharaoh’s tomb. Grove first saw King Tut’s exhibition in New York City in the 1970’s and was profoundly affected by the collection. Today his Gem Series reflects and interprets the awe he felt for the mysteries of the Boy King. Along with highly figured veneers and hardwood, Grove uses inlaid Sterling Silver and semi-precious gems of malachite, mother-of-pearl, onyx, lapis, goldstone, and others. Many of the stones that Grove uses are in Tut’s artifacts and color palette.
- 48″ dia x 30″ curly maple, purple heart, walnut, gem stones, silver, maple
- 14″ x 60″ x 32″ satinwood, tamo ash, purple heart, inlaid gems
- 12″ x 38″ x 33″ sycamore, gem stones, silver, walnut burl, amber, silver, ebonized oak
- 48″ x 96″ x 30″ avodire, purple heart, quilted maple, gem stones, silver
- 14″ x 42″ x 33″ spalted beech, gem stones, ebonized oak, silver silver
- semi-precious gem stones, sterling silver, brass, copper, Quilted Maple
- 32″ x 16″ x 34″ quilted maple, amber, silver, ebonized oak, polychrome finish